Wednesday 5 November 2008

History

So, did my endorsement swing it for Obama? I'm far too modest to comment ;o)
I stayed up as long as I could last night to watch the results (even doing some ironing to stay awake) and I missed him crossing the finishing line - but it was clear by the time I was dozing off that victory would be his.
On the train this morning, and coming in to my office building, I could hear conversations about Obama - and even a little chanting! His campaign has not just energised the US, but it has also given a little bit of hope to people all over the world.
I don't envy him. He has a massive task ahead of him. Despite the current economic situation, expectations of him are high - especially from those who voted for the first time in this election. There are a lot of people who are looking to him to make their lives better. Four, even eight years, is not a lot of time to make the kind of changes that are necessary to transform the lives of Americans struggling in low paid jobs or to tackle the massive challenges posed by the US system of health care.
One thing is for sure though - along with Joe Biden, he will do a whole lot better than the McCain/Palin duo ever could.
I think it is in the international arena that Obama can deliver the most clear change, and he has the potential to change the way the rest of the world perceives the US, and also how the US interacts with the rest of the world.
Back to an election closer to home now, and to Glenrothes. There have been a few people talking about the US elections on the doorstep, and they were talking optimistically about the future. Hopefully people in Glenrothes and across Scotland will be motivated by this momentous result, and grab a bit of change for themselves.

No comments: