Monday 26 October 2009

The waiting game

I could be in labour any moment now (that’s the process of giving birth, and not the political party before anyone starts spreading rumours!). I’ve been making the most of this part of my maternity leave, and using it to organise some campaign things and get my filing in order – but it’s very frustrating to have such little energy or flexibility! I keep dropping things on the floor, and have to wait for Jamie to pick them up for me. My mum and dad visited last week and very kindly helped with the housework, gardening and furniture building – while I sat with my feet up. :o)

Anyway, I thought I would quickly reflect on my experience of the NHS during my pregnancy. In short, it has been excellent. I have been prodded and poked by a whole host of healthcare professionals over the last 9 months. In some ways, it has felt like I have totally surrendered control of my pregnancy to the NHS, such has been the level of care. However, it has also been reassuring to know that there is so much support available – from the extra GP and nurse appointments, to the regular midwife appointments and antenatal classes. Every person in the NHS who has looked after us has been so patient, reassuring and professional.

As a first time mum-to-be, pregnancy has been the most daunting period of my life. I suppose I could describe myself as a researcher ‘by trade’, so it is quite scary to be taking on a role I know so little about – parenting! But no amount of reading or research can prepare anyone for being a parent I suppose, and both Jamie and I will have to learn as we go!

11 comments:

StevenM said...

Good to see you at Conference Julie! Thinking of you and sending good wishes. :)

Julie Hepburn said...

You too. Hope you enjoyed your birthday night out. Turning 30 isn't that bad - I coped!

no-one in particular said...

Good luck Julie!

Julie Hepburn said...

Thanks - still waiting!

Indygal said...

Why are we waiting, why-y are we waiting?? Come on Jules, I thought this baby was coming today. It's after 5pm and I've heard nothing. Hurry up, I'm excited.

Math Campbell-Sturgess said...

Hope everything is going swimmingly!!

Julie Hepburn said...

STILL waiting! Perhaps we might have some progress after the excitement of tonight's X Factor and the curry I have just finished...

Math Campbell-Sturgess said...

So, what's the news?
Give us the lowdown :)

Julie Hepburn said...

None yet! Still waiting...

Math Campbell-Sturgess said...

So how are things going?
Also, I actually have something to talk to you about, in a week or two's time after some meetings; about the forthcoming GE….
I'll e-mail you when I do...

Julie Hepburn said...

Our daughter finally arrived on 12 November! Needless to say, I've been quite busy over the last few weeks :o)

Apologies to anyone who has emailed me and awaits a response. I'm trawling through the emails bit by bit!

Thanks for all the good wishes.