Saturday 18 August 2007

Quite a Scare

I wasn't sure whether to blog about this, but on the way back from Byres Road this afternoon I was hit by a car crossing Great Western Road. Nothing serious - I imagine that I'll have an almighty bruise on my side tomorrow morning - but scary nonetheless!

I was crossing at a pedestrian crossing, the green man was flashing, and I looked both ways (left, right, and left again) before crossing - and a car that looked like it was slowing down came from the right hand side and ran the red light! It wasn't just me on the road. A man and his young son were also crossing. I'm glad that it didn't hit him. The front of the car hit my shopping bag, while the wing mirror caught my side. If the boy had been in my place, it could have been his head that took the impact.

The driver was obviously shocked, and stopped to check I was OK. A man and his wife who were driving past at the time also stopped to make sure I was OK. The man who was also crossing at the time took the opportunity to hammer home how dangerous crossing the road is to his son! I'm sure he will be looking left, right, left, right, left, right, left... in the future!

That's why I've posted on this. Even when it looks totally safe to cross the road, always keep checking. One driver today lost their concentration for a split second, and the implications could have been a lot more serious. Take care!

1 comment:

BellgroveBelle said...

That is pretty scary - hope you're ok.

I see people running red lights every time I'm out, think the traffic cops should have a crackdown on careless drivers before someone's very seriously injured.