Sunday 18 January 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

We went to see Slumdog Millionaire earlier in the week. Don't click here if you are planning to see it.

I personally think the marketing of this film is slightly bizarre, because all the adverts I have seen describe it as a 'feel good' film. Well, it certainly didn't make me feel good. While watching it, I felt ashamed to be part of the human race because of the unspeakable things we do to each other.

It's not like I'm not aware of how bad the world can be - I work for a human rights organisation and spend a part of each day reading about the terrible things that people do to other human beings. But when they are brought to life in such a stark way, it still shocks.

I suspected that the plot of Slumdog Millionaire may be darker than advertised, but I was taken aback at how shocking some scenes were. I don't want to give away anything here, just in case anyone reading plans to go see it.

And despite my description, I think people should absolutely see this film. It was an amazing film. The acting - especially from the young boys - is fantastic. The story is quite clever, with various twists and turns. Plus, it really hits you hard and makes you reflect on your own life, and on the state of the world around you.

Take some tissues for the tears, but go see this film.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Obama is Scottish - help spead the world

http://uk.youtube.com/user/AyeWeCan