Tuesday 22 April 2008

SNP spring conference

Yes, here I am 'in action' at SNP conference at the weekend. Worryingly (for me anyway), this is the most flattering shot! You can imagine how bad the others were...

Anyway, I'm finding it quite difficult to report on conference - it all went by in a bit of a blur! I had to get there early each day because I'm on the Standing Orders and Agenda Committee of the SNP. This rather dull sounding committee is elected by SNP delegates each year at our autumn conference and is charged with selecting the motions for debate at National Council and Conference which have been submitted by SNP branches, constituencies, organisations and elected members. We meet early each morning of these national meetings to discuss topical and emergency motions to be debated that day.

The picture above was taken while I was speaking to delegates on a topical motion, which condemned the Westminster Labour Government for abolishing the 10 pence starting rate of tax. This is an issue I previously blogged on, and feel very strongly about.

I addressed conference again that day, because I moved the motion on first aid training submitted by my branch, Cumbernauld North East. I'm glad that didn't make it on to the BBC webcast though - as I said my Dad was embarrassing! There is some context to that. You see my Dad is an ambulance technician and I was telling delegates about the first aid training I was lucky enough to receive growing up, and my embarrassment when my Dad came along to do the first aid training at the Brownies, etc. Sorry Dad!

I also attended the launch of the new Equalities Forum of the SNP. More on that at a later date, but this is a really positive step - aimed at providing an umbrella organisation to support a number of groups in the SNP.

Other than that, I spent time catching up with folk, posing for a photoshoot of Westminster candidates, listening to debates, drinking tea, and voting to select a list of candidates to put forward for the forthcoming European elections (special congrats to my friend Anne McLaughlin AKA Indygal who made the list - she would make an excellent MEP!).

One final thought... Alex Salmond has set the SNP a target of winning at least 20 seats at the next Westminster election. I'm doing all I can to make sure that Cumbernauld, Kilsyth & Kirkintilloch East is one of those successes. So, I'd better get back to my campaign 'to do' list....

No comments: