Sunday 15 June 2008

Gala day extravaganza

Photo 1: Abronhill with Cllr Willie Homer, Cllr Liz Irvine and Jamie.


Saturday 14 June was a very busy day indeed, with not one but THREE gala days taking place across the constituency! But I managed to make it along to all three, and I have photographic evidence too. And I strongly refute the allegation that I bought cakes at each event. Well, I did share them :o)

Photo 2: Abronhill with Cllr David Key and Jamie.


I'm glad I went along to these events in Abronhill, Kilsyth and then Kirkintilloch . Not only was it a great chance to catch up with local SNP members, running our various stalls, but also to get a chance to look round the other stalls and have a chat to people.

I particularly enjoyed talking to one lady about her membership of a certain organisation that is still struggling to come to terms with the fact that women are indeed members. We laughed at the fact that both of us have consciously avoided making coffee for people over the years either at work or in the various organisations that we are a part of, for fear of being pigeon-holed or playing to a gender stereotype. (Don't get me wrong, I do take my turn to make the tea and coffee in the office these days!) Anyway, our chat was interrupted by Jamie, who whisked me away to the next gala day, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one with an aversion to preparing hot drinks for men :o)

After the day of festivities it was down to Clydesdale for an SNP fundraiser there. It's a long story but I came home from the evening with a Scotland football top and a hat to wear to all these weddings I have coming up over the summer. And they say there is no glamour in politics!

Photo 3: Just me in Kirkintilloch - just before the rain started!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Off-topic: Any thoughts on the alcohol-related proposals from Nichola Sturgeon? Uni students banned from off-licenses? Everyone to be fined for buying drink regardless of whether they misbehave?

All I can say is - wont be voting SNP again if this nonsense goes through. :)

Julie Hepburn said...

I was planning to blog on this later in the week when I have more time, but I will put up a quick posting now - just for you! See blog above in about 5 minutes...