Sunday 8 April 2007

CAMPAIGN CASUALTIES, NEW MEMBERS AND A TARANTULA!

Well, that pretty much sums up the last few days.

The campaign casualties?
Days of delivering Jamie's election leaflets have destroyed a pair of boots already. I'm exhausted and there's still so much to do. Better invest in another pair of boots...

New members
I've had a number of new members come up to me whilst campaigning in Kilsyth and Cumbernauld - more than usual over the last few days. They told me that they have recently joined the SNP after receiving information with our survey of local residents. They are convinced that it's now time for the SNP and many more people agree - SNP membership across Scotland has increased over the campaign period significantly.

And finally...
The tarantula was encountered while campaigning on the issue of Trident in Cumbernauld town centre. As it was the holiday weekend, there was some kind of mobile zoo in the centre to entertain the kids. Lured in by the sight of little hamsters and cute guinea pigs I ventured in for a closer look...to be confronted by a massive tarantula!!! Those who know me will understand just how traumatic this was. Anyway, I soldiered on in a different part of the centre. Buoyed by my own bravery, I spoke to a number of people about the absolute horror of Trident. Not only are these weapons of mass destruction morally abhorrent, they are an incomprehensible waste of money, OUR money. Money that would be better spent on things like decent pensions. The people of Scotland aren't daft. They know this. Many also know that voting SNP will stop this disgrace.

It's campaigning against things like Trident that make the loss of favourite footwear and coming face-to-face with your biggest fear worthwhile.

No comments: