Wednesday 25 April 2007

Self-interest reigns supreme

Yes, I am indeed referring to today's advert in a Scottish newspaper in support of the union, signed by 150 business people.

I don't have a problem with anyone publicly stating their support for the union. I don't agree with them, but they have every right to voice their opinions, as do those who have publicly backed the SNP and independence.

However, there are - in my opinion - two distinct differences between public supporters of the SNP and many public backers of the union.

Firstly...

SNP supporters want the people of Scotland to have the opportunity to decide their constitutional future, in a democratic referendum on independence. In contrast, the signatories to today's pro-union advert would seek to deny you and I that simple choice.

Secondly...

Those who have backed the SNP and independence do so because they believe it will be good for Scotland - all of Scotland. I suspect that there are many people among the signatories in today's advert that support the continuation of the union because they believe it is in their best interests, not Scotland's.

For example, I am not in the least surprised to discover that the chairman of TESCO supports the union. Why wouldn't he? HE does rather well out of it! It's a pity the same can't be said for others in Scotland, such as the many thousands of children growing up in poverty - under the union. Or the pensioners who freeze to death in their own homes over winter because they cannot afford to pay rocketing energy bills on their meagre pensions - under the union.

I want independence for Scotland, not for my own sake, but because I want our country to be run for the benefit of all our citizens, and to enable our country to play it's part in solving the challenges faced across the world. I wish others could see past their own self-interest - and what they perceive to be in their best interests - to grasp a more positive future for all of Scotland, with independence as the foundation for our country to flourish.

No comments: